The Facts of Fingernails in Guitar Playing - The Pros & Cons Playing Guitar with Fingernail

Some "thing" that I needed to frequently (literally every 3 or 4 days) spend such a time just to keep my playing clean - and I gave up.

I needed to keep my fingernails' length stable last time. The problem's they grow so fast, so when I aimed the 3rd string with let's say index, as the fingernail grew longer I got stuck on the 2nd string. When I trimmed it and unpurposely too short, I missed the 3rd string & hit the 4th string instead, I hit the 4th string instead...not to mention about eating with hand (yes, sometimes Indonesian eat with bare hands), haha.. I got some rice I needed to clean from my fingernails. So unhygienic right?

I also needed to keep the left side of the fingernail slanted lest it got stuck to the string - a lot of things to pay attention here rather than jump into the music practice itself. Practicality is one of my consideration too.

Daniel Purnomo did a deep experimental comparison for his final project at LASALLE College of the Arts last time regarding "The Pros and Cons of Playing Guitar with Fingernails"

Yes, I understand that having fingernails on guitar playing is about personal acccustomization/habit, but more than just that, there're some fact that we could take benefits from. 

What is the the pros & cons about having optimum length fingernails for guitar playing comparable to non-fingernails playing?

1. Fingernail is very useful in manipulating the tone color when it's used to pluck strings on a responsive classical guitar. The guitarist could adjust the angle of the fingernail to get brighter or warmer tone. Where else tone color manipulation on electric guitar and on steel string acoustic guitar are not too significant compared to a good responsive classical guitar (there's still potential to manipulate tone color, but in smaller degree).

2. Fingernail is very useful in playing tremolo (a technique in classical guitar) and in fast arpeggio (broken chords). These techniques appear in classical, flamenco and country style music.

3. Fingernail could obstructs the movement of the thumb and index in "Slapping-Popping" technique (an electric bass technique which is adopted in modern guitar playing).

4. Fingernail could obstructs "Double Thumb" movement - it's when the thumb pluck a bass string up and down very fast (it's not to be mistaken with strumming up-down strumming in Flamenco's technique).

5. Fingernail could obstructs "Touchstyle" technique. One still could do some light tapping with fingernail's on, but for fast and complex touchstyle playing it's much easier to use the fingertip flesh than fingernail. 

6. And maybe other things that I missed?

It seems that it's good to have fingernails just when we need them. The problem is I couldn't just have them when I need and get rid when I don't need them anytime I want, not in the same song, not even within a day.  Come on...Wolverine was just a myth. Okay, don't cry :p

Conclusion of The Pros and Cons Playing Guitar with Fingernails
What guitar and technique do you have in mind in making your music come in consideration. As you're the decision maker you could choose wisely your decision and go for everything you could do within the limitation. Creativity doesn't come in a box - feel free to oppose the tradition (just if necessary) as well as taking advantage from the tradition. 

Here're something I shared about this matter :
It's just some subjective personal sharing from my experience and observation and hope you could benefit from it. Enjoy your musical journey and write your artistic "story" through guitar ;)

Do you dream about being a professional guitarist in Singapore? Daniel is the right guy to guide you through your guitar learning process. 

Don't hesitate to say Hi Daniel! on his Facebook and discuss with him personally about what you want and what you need to learn and improve in your guitar playing. 

Cheers,
Daniel Purnomo

Comments