Live Music for Mr. Richardson's Birthday Celebration at Singapore Cricket Club

Friday, 16th January 2015, I went to Singapore Cricket as they asked me to perform solo guitar for their lunch time event. I wondered what event would it be on the unusual timing, Friday afternoon. It's unlikely a wedding nor company function as usually afternoon wedding would be on week end & company functions usually would be on weekdays evening. Anyway...it's a great sunny morning I could enjoy there :)

I reached at Gilmor Room at Singapore Cricket Club about 11.30am for sound check. There're 4 tables already nicely set-up there. Without initially knew what event would it be, I could guess it's gonna be quite intimate event with only for few people.


After getting some information from the friendly staffs there, as well as my "quick" observation by reading the set menu on the table, then I knew that it's one of Singapore Cricket Club's member's birthday, Mr. Tony Richardson would be celebrating his coming birthday there. The actual date's supposed to be on the 18th January, but he himself, later on said that his friends wouldn't want to come if the celebration  were on Sunday. Now it explained why the event was on Friday afternoon...mistery solved!! ;)

Knowing about what event would it be is very significant to me in order to set the music list (the genres) by predicting the demographic of the coming guests. I guess some "evergreen" list would work well for this event.

After soundcheck, I still had time for some quick selfie with my double guitar, lol! The mirror was just right behind (I don't mean it's on the right hand side..it's just "behind") where I stationed, though I don't think the Club purposely put the mirror there for my selfie...or did they? Hmmm...another mystery.


The guests started coming in just, around 12.30pm. Glad to have met Tony the birthday boy, a very friendly & humorous gentleman. And apperantly he's got a bunch of cool friends as his guests. I could see they liked to tease each other. 



I started playing my first 30 minutes set when the guests more or less have settled. I stick to the plan, "evergreen" repertoire. Here are some tunes I played with touchstyle technique, the most famous song from Louis Armstrong & the theme song of "The Wizard of Oz" :


Tony gave his "thank you" speech during my break time. He was so grateful and extended his gratitude to Club's staffs and also to me....wow!!! It's personally quite something to me. Not all clients personally thank their musicians. I'm so honored to be part of his celebration :D


The 2nd set, I started with "Happy birthday" song for him. Everybody in the room sang together & wished him the best. 


Tony requested for the Beatles songs. Amazing band ya...till now many people still look up on them. Not only Tony's generation, but many younger generations also loves the Beatles. So the Beatles repertoire would come in handy anytime. Here's some of the Beatles tunes I played: 

On the 3rd 30 minutes set, there's a request for the famous Jobim's Bossanova song, "The Girl from Ipanema". This one also one of the "must have" repertoire for easy-listening Jazz. 
Just some confession, I played not so "Evergreen" too...but "Nothing gonna change my love for you" might be categorized as "Evergreen" in the years to come (or maybe it's already?) I'm a bit colorblind...is it "green"?? Here I compiled some other tunes :
As all the guest enjoyed the live music so much, they requested me to play longer. Ended up I played for 5 sets of 30 minutes. 

I was happy to see them dance on the floor enjoying some waltz I played. I was very eager to take video of their dance...only to realize that I was the one who provided the live music for them...stuck with my guitar. O ya...Tony danced too. He danced with the ladies...wow! Great time for everybody.

At 4.10pm, we've got to end the party as the room would be set-up for an evening function. Everybody happy. I'm glad to know a bunch of beautiful fun people there! We'll just keep in touch!



Wishing Tony a blessed sweet 17...I mean sweet 71 birthday. More exciting years to come & God bless!

Posted by:
Daniel Purnomo
www.dpurnomoconcept.com

Comments